Site closure procedure
There have been occasions in the past when it has become necessary to close the site to all flight operations due to emergency helicopter evacuations or severe weather conditions.
The following procedure is to be taken in such events:
- The site is to be closed immediately upon request from the Duty Pilot/Safety Officer, or any emergency services personnel such as Police or Ambulance officers.
- Marker cones will be moved to the front of the launch or landing area and any signage removed.
- The large white vinyl cross is to be spread out in the middle of the launch or landing area to signify site closure and 3 blasts given on the airhorn at regular intervals to attract pilots attention. The cross, air-horn and first aid kit are in the storage box on the south launch and a key is available from the tucker truck.
- Upon the sounding of the air-horn pilots must immediately take steps to land as soon a they can do so safely, pack away their wings and comply with any directives from the duty pilot or emergency personnel.
- Flight operations can only recommence when the Duty Pilot/Safety Officer is satisfied that it is safe to do so.